Chana Masala is an evergreen recipe which never loses its popularity. Poori or chapatti with Chana Masala is a finger licking combination. This gravy is prepared in many ways. Here I have given a simple recipe which tastes so delicious. This Chana Masala is liked by all at my home. In this recipe, I have soaked Chana overnight. You could use tinned Chickpeas also, which is available in market. Let’s get into the recipe.
- 1 cup Chickpeas soaked overnight
- 1 Onion big, finely chopped
- 2 Tomato medium, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 Green chili – 1
- Salt as required
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Soak Chickpeas in water enough to immerse for minimum 8 hours. Overnight soaking gives you soft Chickpeas when cooked.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add butter.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf.
- Add onions and fry for few mins. Let it turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell goes off.
- Add all the spice powder mentioned and fry well.
- When oil separates, add tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes with the back of the ladle, so that it cooks soon.
- When it forms into gravy, add soaked Chickpeas and 2 cups of water. Add salt.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium heat.
- Let the pressure release naturally. If you want your gravy to be thick, mash few Chickpeas with the ladle.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with Poori or chapatti!