Checkout Vazhakkai Roast / Vazhakkai Varuval – A spicy and crispy roast with Vazhakkai / Raw banana. This will go well with Sambar Rice or Rasam Rice.
Vazhakkai / Raw banana is a popular vegetable which is used in south Indian kitchen in the form of Poriyal , roast, bajji or curry. Today Lets see how to make Vazhakkai Roast. You would have seen my Potato Roast recipe( most popular recipe of my blog) and this Vazhakkai Varuval is no less to that. The roast tastes so good and it goes well with Rice. The cripsy outer and soft inner will make want more. Cooking vazhakkai is key step in this recipe. If you over cook , it will turn mushy. Checkout the step by step procedure with pictures below. Spicy and Crispy Vazhakkai Roast recipe here for you. Follow this recipe and leave your comments below.
Vazhakkai Varuval Recipe
- 1 Vazhaikkai
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Rice flour
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash Vazhaikai and cut into two.
- In boiling water, add turmeric and cook Vazhaikai for 5 mins.
- Do not overcook. The Vazhaikai should not turn mushy.
- Once cooked, cut into thin slice.
- In a mixing bowl, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, ginger garlic paste and rice flour. Add little water and make into a thick paste.
- Now add sliced Vazhaikai and gently mix.
- The masala should cover all over the Vazhaikai.
- Let it marinate for ½ hr.
- In a tawa, add 2 tsp of oil and spread over.
- Once hot place the Vazhaikai pieces and drizzle oil over those.
- Cook for 2 mins on one side in medium flame.
- Flip to the other side and cook for 2 more mins.
- Once crisp, remove to a serving plate.
How to make Vazhakkai Roast
1. Keep the ingredients Ready.
2. Wash Vazhakkai and cut into Two. In boiling water, add turmeric powder and vazhakkai. Cook for 5 mins. Do not over-cook. It should not turn mushy. Cut into Thin Slices.
3. In a mixing bowl, add red chilli powder, Turmeric powder, coriander powder, ginger-garlic paste, rice flour and salt. Add little water and make a paste.
4. Marinate vazhakkai in the masala paste.
5. Heat a tawa. Add 2 tsp of oil and spread over. Once hot place the Vazhakkai pieces and drizzle oil over those. Cook for 2 mins on one side in medium flame. Flip to the other side and cook for 2 more mins.
6. Once crisp, remove to a serving plate.
You may want to try other recipes from my blog