Last Updated on
Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Pongal is a popular sweet dish made with rice, moong dal and jaggery. This dish is made during festivals and offered to god. A simple dish which tastes heavenly.
Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Pongal
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 cup Ghee – ¼ cup
- 6 Cashews
- 6 Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- Soak rice for at least 30 mins.
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee
- Add moong dal and fry for a min
- Add soaked rice and 5 cups of water
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 5 whistles
- Let the pressure release naturally
- Mash the rice and dal mixture with the back of the ladle.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add powdered jaggery and enough water to immerse it.
- Heat till the jaggery dissolves. Filter the jaggery syrup.
- Now add the jaggery syrup to the pressure cooker.
- Mix well. Let it cook for 3 more mins.
- Add ghee now and then.
- In a pan, add ghee
- Add cashews and raisins.
- Fry till cashews turn golden brown and raisins puff up.
- Add it to the pressure cooker.
- Add cardamom powder and give a good mix.
- Switch off the flame at your desired consistency.
Checkout the recent Post from F For Flavour – Murukku