Checkout Coconut Chutney Recipe – A quick and easy chutney recipe which goes well with many south Indian staples like Idli, dosa, Vada, pongal, etc.,. Here is the basic Coconut Chutney Recipe for you!
It is the most popular chutney across South India. Coconut Chutney is also called as Getti Chutney when ground thick with very less water. It is often made as an accompaniment for idly, dosa, Pongal, kuzhi paniyaram and also many snacks items. There are many variations followed in making chutney. Each have their own way of making Coconut Chutney with slight Variations. You can make variation to this chutney by adding tamarind, coriander, etc. Chutneys are always a time-saver. You can prepare chutneys in few minutes. Fried gram dal/ Pottukadalai is the key ingredient for making Chutney and achieving the right consistency. This Chutney can stay good for 2 days if refrigerated.
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Roasted gram dal
- 2 Green chillies
- Salt as required
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Gram Dal
- Asafoetida– a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- In a blender, add Grated coconut, green chillies, roasted gram dal and salt.
- You can little water while grinding. Blend it into a thick paste.
- Transfer it into a serving bowl. If you grind thick, then it is Getti Chutney which is usually served in restaurants.
- You can adjust the consistency of chutney by adding water. Make sure you just the consistency before tempering.
- Now heat a small pan or tadka pan for tempering.
- Add oil. Once hot add mustard seeds.
- Wait till mustard seeds crackle.
- Now add urad dal and gram dal. Let the dals turn golden.
- Add asafetida/hing.
- Now add Curry leaves. Wait till curry leaves become crisp.
- Switch off the flame.
- Now pour this tempering over chutney.
- Mix well.
- Serve with Idly or Dosa
- You can add tamarind and coriander as a variation.
- Always serve Coconut chutney freshly. Since coconut tend to spoil soon.
- Coconut Chutney can stay good for 2 days if refrigerated properly.
How to make Coconut Chutney
- First of all Keep Your ingredients Ready.
- Grind all the above ingredients with little water.
- Finally temper with Mustard, urad dal , Gram dal and curry leaves. Mix well and serve
- Serve along with Idli, Dosa or any breakfast items.
- Coconut Chutney or Getti chutney goes well with Idli and Dosa.
- You can even serve with Vadas or Pakoras.
- Always adjust the chutney consistency before tempering.
- Do not keep Chutney outside for long time.
- If refrigerated Properly, it can stay good for 2 days.
Did you Try this Coconut Chutney Recipe ?
If you loved this post , then please let us know by liking, sharing, commenting and subscribing below!