Coconut Chutney is most popular chutney across South India. It is often made as an accompaniment for idly, dosa, Pongal, kuzhi paniyaram and many other breakfast recipes. There are many variations followed in making coconut chutney. This recipe is the basic coconut chutney. You can make variation to this chutney by adding tamarind, coriander, etc. Chutneys are always a time-saver. You can prepare chutneys in few minutes. Checkout more chutney recipes in my blog.
Now follow this recipe and let me know your comments.
- 3/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Roasted gram dal
- 2 Green chillies
- Salt as required
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Gram Dal
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- In a blender, add Grated coconut, green chilies, roasted gram dhal and salt.
- You can little water while grinding. Blend it into a thick paste.
- Transfer it into a serving bowl.
- Now heat a small pan for tempering.
- Add oil. Once hot add mustard seeds.
- Wait till mustard seeds crackle.
- Now add urad dal and gram dal. Let the dals turn golden.
- Add asafetida/hing.
- Now add Curry leaves. Wait till curry leaves become crisp.
Switch off the flame.
Now pour this tempering over chutney.
Serve with Idly or Dosa
You can add tamarind and coriander as a variation.
Always serve Coconut chutney freshly. Since coconut tend to spoil soon.
Step by Step Procedure With Pictures
- Keep Your ingredients Ready.
2. Grind all the above ingredients with little water.
3. Now temper with Mustard, urad dal , Gram dal and curry leaves.
4. Serve along with Dosa, Chutney.
If you like the recipe, Please like, share, subscribe and leave your comment below. Would love to hear back from you!