Last Updated on
Fish Curry is a spicy South Indian fish curry which is spicy and tangy. I always like to try different varieties in Fish Curry. This Fish Curry – Tamilnadu style recipe is one among the tried Recipes. An onion and tomato gravy with shallot and coconut paste, which is then simmered along with fish. I tried this curry last Sunday and it was so yummy. Fish curry always taste better the next day. Serve this Fish Curry along with steamed rice or idly or dosa. I made this Fish curry and Vanjaram Fish Fry for a Sunday lunch.
Fish Curry - Tamilnadu Style
- 6 Pieces Fish I used head and tail pieces
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tomato pureed
- few Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tsp Coriander powder
- Tamarind – size of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- 15 - 20 Shallots
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Dry Red chillies
- Clean the fish and keep aside. The fish I used here is Sheela.
- I have used head and tail pieces of fish.
- Soak tamarind in ½ cup of water for 30 mins. Squeeze the tamarind juice and set aside.
- In a pan, add a tbsp of oil and add garlic and red chilies. Fry till garlic starts to change color.
- Add shallots and cook till it turns translucent.
- Add Grated coconut and cook till golden.
- Remove it from the pan and cool.
- Once cooled, grind it into a fine paste.
- In a pan, add sesame oil.
- Add mustard and fenugreek seeds. Let mustard splutter.
- Add curry leaves and onions. Fry till onion turn translucent.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Sauté well.
- Add tomato puree and salt.
- Cook till oil separates.
- Add the shallots-coconut masala, tamarind juice and 1 ½ cups of water.
- Let it simmer for 20 mins. Oil will float on top. This indicates that curry has cooked well.
- Add fish pieces and cook for 5 - 7 mins.
- Serve with steamed Rice.
If you like the recipe, Please like, share and subscribe!