Mutton Fry / Mutton Varuval is a dry side dish prepared with cooked mutton and a special spice powder. In this recipe, I use Curry Masala Powder which we make at home. We use this curry Masala Powder in n number of Non- Veg recipes. It will enhance the taste of the dishes to a great extent. Follow Mutton Fry / Mutton Varuval recipe below.
I will post the recipe for curry Masala Powder soon. You can also use store-brought Curry Masala Powder for this recipe.
- 350 grams Mutton cooked
- 8 Shallots
- 2 tsp Ginger- Garlic Crushed
- 4 Dry red chilies
- 1 tsp Curry Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal gram
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Pressure cook mutton with ginger-garlic paste, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt , a tsp of castor Oil, 1 cup of water for 8 whistles.
- Reserve the mutton stock for later use.
- I have used Gingelly oil for mutton fry. It will start to foam once heated.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, urad dhal and Bengal gram.
- Once mustard starts spluttering, add fennel seeds.
- Add curry leaves and red chilies.
- Add shallot and crushed ginger garlic. Cook till shallots turn soft.
- Add cooked mutton pieces, required salt and mix well.
- Add curry masala powder, reserved mutton stock and cook for 2 mins or until it becomes dry.
- Finally add freshly ground pepper and give a stir.
Switch off the heat.
- Enjoy this mutton Varuval/ mutton fry with biryani or steamed rice along with mutton gravy!
Add lots of curry leaves. It gives a wonderful flavor to the dish.
When a dish calls for pepper powder, always use freshly ground pepper powder. It enhances the dish so much.
If you like the recipe, Please like, share and subscribe!