Biryani is a popular rice dish which is made differently in different parts of our country. There are different styles followed in cooking, different blend of spices, different type of rice. In Tamilnadu, Seeraga samba rice is used which gives a unique flavor to the biryani. In other parts, the long grained basmati is used. Be it anything, Biryani in any style tastes wonderful. Try this Mutton Biryani with Coconut Milk and I’m sure you would like it too.
Weekends are meant for special lunches. I made this biryani for a Sunday lunch, along with Mutton chukka and gravy. It was very yummy. A blissful Lunch it was!!
I love biryani and I try different styles of it. Do check out my space for more recipes.
Mutton Biryani with Coconut milk
A Spicy, Flavourful Lamb Biryani!
- 250 grams Mutton
- 250 grams Biryani Rice
- 1 Onion big, thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato sliced
- Coriander leaves a handful
- Mint leaves a handful
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut milk - 1 ½ cup thin milk or second milk
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Start anise
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Marati Moggu
- Salt as required
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 cup Ghee
For masala Paste:
- 7 Shallots
- 4 Dry red chili
- 2 Green chili
- 1 tbsp Coconut – 1 tbsp
- 12 cloves Garlic
- Ginger a small piece
- Coriander leaves few
- Mint leaves few
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt – 1 tsp
- Marinate the cleaned mutton pieces with items under “For Marinating” for minimum 1 hour.
- Soak the biryani rice for 1 hour.
- Grind all items under “for masala paste” in a mixer-grinder with ¼ cup of water.
- In a Pressure Cooker, add ghee and oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, Marati Moggu and Kalpasi. Fry well.
- Add sliced onions and fry well. The onions should turn soft.
- Add turmeric powder and sliced tomatoes. Cook well till tomato turns mushy.
- Add the masala paste and cook for 2 mins.
Add Mutton Pieces and 1 cup of water. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 6 whistles in high heat.
- Let the pressure release naturally. For 1 cup of biryani rice, we should add 2 cups of liquid. Here the gravy will measure ½ cup of liquid. So we are adding 1 ½ cup of coconut milk.
- Add soaked rice, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix well. Let it come to a boil.
Close the lid. Cook in medium heat for 10 mins.
Switch off the heat and wait for at least 10 mins before opening the lid.
Add a tsp of ghee and gently mix with a fork.
- Enjoy the biryani!
1. Cooking time of mutton depends on the quality of it. Some takes at least 10 whistles, while some cooks in 6 - 8 whistles. If you feel, the mutton is undercooked before adding rice and coconut milk, cook for 2– 3 more whistles.
2. You can even substitute coconut milk with water.
3. This recipe yields mild spiced biryani. If you want a spicier biryani, add 2 more green chilies.