This Masala is spicy, tangy south Indian dish made with bitter gourd and tamarind. Many would not like bitter gourd. All moms will be in a mission to add this bitter vegetable in the menu. You can make this gravy, as you will not feel the bitterness. There will be light sweetness in the gravy as we add jaggery. Jaggery always enhances the flavor of tamarind based gravy. Bitter gourd is a healthy vegetable and it is very god for diabetics. Stay tuned with my space for post on pavakai chips – a delicious snack/ side. Now let’s move onto this Pavakai / Bitter Gourd Masala recipe.
Pavakai / Bitter Gourd Masala
- 150 Grams Pavakai / bitter gourd
- 1/2 cup Shallots
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- Tamarind – a lemon sized
- 1 tbsp Sambar powder
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- Salt – as required
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- few Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil/ Gingelly oil
- Hing – a pinch
- 2 Dry Red chili
- Cut the bitter gourd into thin slices and keep them soaked in salt and buttermilk. This reduces little bitterness.
- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of water and extract the juice.
- In a pan, add sesame oil. This gives a wonderful taste to the Masala.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. The oil will start to foam.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chilies and hing.
- Now add shallots and garlic pods. Cook till it turns soft.
- Add sambar powder and tamarind water. (Taste and add tamarind water accordingly)
- Let it come to a boil.
- Now add sliced pavakai/ bitter gourd, jaggery and salt.
- Let it simmer for 10 mins or till oil floats on top.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
If you like the recipe, Please like, share and subscribe!