Last Updated on
Vendakkai Kulambu / Ladies Finger Kulmabu is a south Indian delicacy, which tastes awesome when paired with steamed rice. In this recipe, the ladies finger is simmered in spicy tangy gravy which makes it delicious. This Vendakkai Kuzhambu tastes best the next day. When I made this curry at home, We all loved it so much. It was absolutely delicious. Try this out and let me know your comments.
Recipe for Vendakkai Kulambu / Ladies Finger Kulambu
Vendakkai Kulambu / Ladies Finger Kulambu
- 8 Ladies finger/ Okra/ Vendaikai cut into 1” pieces
- 8 Shallots
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt – as required
- 4 tbsp Gingelly/ sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- few Curry leaves
Make a paste:
- 1 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tsp Bengal gram
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Toor dal
- 4 Dry red chillies
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- Soak tamarind in ½ cup water for ½ an hour. Mash the pulp with finger and extract as much as possible. Add little more water to the pulp and squeeze again. Now the tamarind water is ready.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp of oil and roast the ingredients mentioned under “make a paste” except coconut. Let the dal turn golden brown. Switch off the heat and add coconut. The heat from the pan is enough for the coconut. Once cooled, add little water and grind it to a fine paste using a mixer-grinder.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and fry the ladyfinger. This help to reduce the stickiness of ladyfinger. Fry for 2 mins in medium heat. Remove it to a plate.
- Now add remaining oil to the pan, and add mustard seeds, fenugreek, urad dal and curry leaves. Once the mustard seed crackles, add shallots to it.
- Cook till the shallots turn translucent. Then add turmeric and salt.
- Add tamarind water and the prepared paste. Now Add 1 ½ cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add fried ladyfinger to the gravy. Let it simmer for 5 mins in medium heat. The oil will separate from the gravy. This is the sign that the gravy is ready.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- You can even shallow fry the vendakkai, Before adding it to the curry.
- Add lots of Sesame oil, it enhances the taste so much.
- Add half of the tamarind water and let it boil. check if the taste suits you. If you want the curry to be more tangy, add remaining water and boil. This will be helpful for beginners to check the taste.
Did you Try this Vendakkai Kulambu / Ladies finger Kulambu Recipe ?
If you loved Vendakkai Puli Kulambu Recipe, then please let us know by liking, sharing, commenting and subscribing below!
Checkout the recent Post from F For Flavour – Murukku