Last Updated on
Vazhaithandu Poriyal (Banana Stem Poriyal) is a south Indian Dish which is so healthy. This is one of the simplest dishes if you learn how to clean Vazhaithandu. You can check below for detailed instructions with pictures on how to cut Vazhaithandu and remove excess fibre. Vazhaithandu Poriyal is my all time favourite and I usually eat just with plain rice. It will taste so delicious. Vazhaithandu is rich in fibre and good for diabetics. It has numerous health benefits. Follow step by step procedure with pictures below.
Checkout other Recipes here :
- 1 cup Vazhaithandu chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split Urad Dal
- Curry Leaves – few
- 2 tsp Grated coconut
- Checkout step by step procedure with pictures on how to cut Vazhaithandu.
- Keep buttermilk ready in a big bowl.
- Cut the Vazhaithandu into discs.
- There will be lot of fibre. Roll it with your finger and remove it. Repeat the same procedure for every disc.
- Now chop the disc into small cubes.
- Soak it in buttermilk.
- In a pan, add 3 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add the chopped Vazhaithandu to the boiling water discarding the buttermilk.
- Vazhaithandu will turn translucent once cooked. That is the sign.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Cook Toor Dal in enough water and keep it ready. Dal should not be mushy.
- In a pan, add oil.
- Add mustard seeds and split urad dal. Once mustard splutters and dal turns Golden, add curry leaves, Dry Red chilies and onion.
- Cook till soft.
- Add cooked Vazhaithandu, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add cooked Toor dal and grated coconut.
- Now switch off the flame and serve.
How to Cut Vazhaithandu
1. Keep buttermilk ready in a bowl.2. Cut vazhaithandu into discs.3. There will be lots of fibre. Remove it by rolling with your fingers.4. chop into small cubes.5. Add these to the buttermilk.
How to make Vazhaithandu Poriyal
- In a pan, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Drain the buttermilk and add only vazhaithandu to the boiling water. Cook till translucent.
- In a pan, add oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, gram dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add chopped onions and cook till translucent.
- Add cooked vazhaithandu, turmeric powder and salt.
- Now add cooked dal and grated coconut and mix well.6. Serve with Steamed Rice.
You may want to try other recipes from my blog
If you like the recipe, Please like, share, comment and subscribe below!
Checkout the recent Post from F For Flavour – Murukku